Real-World Nursing Survival Guide: Hemodynamic Monitoring
Rebecca K. Hodges
||Retail Price: $49.95
Cardiotext Price: $42.46
Processing time varies. Price is tentative.
Publisher: SAUNDERS W B CO
Format: Paperback, 206 pages
Pub Date: 01/2005
Edition Number: 1
The latest title in the Real World Nursing Survival Guide series, this fun and engaging book makes it easy to review must-know concepts associated with hemodynamic monitoring. Its lighthearted, cartoon-filled approach guides readers through challenging concepts and procedures. The book begins with an overview of five main concepts: cardiac output, stroke volume, preload, afterload, and contractility. It discusses equipment used for specific procedures, followed by discussions of specific aspects of hemodynamic monitoring including cardiac output, intra-arterial, central venous, pulmonary artery, and mixed venous oxygenation. The final chapter focuses on clinical applications with case studies, clinical interventions, and exercises.
* The unique presentation of content narrows the gap between the knowledge a student learns during nursing school and the wisdom they need to survive in the real world.
* Material is presented using adult learning principles and various active-learning strategies to engage readers of all ages, backgrounds, and learning styles.
* A consistent chapter format – using the headings What it is, What you need to know, What you do, and Do you understand? – breaks down information into small segments and facilitates understanding.
* Special icons for Lifespan Considerations, Cultural Implications, Web Links, Cautions, Monitoring and Initial Treatment help readers quickly identify special content in the chapter.
* A variety of memory-reinforcing activities such as mnemonic devices, fill-in the blank, matching, word jumbles, true/false, and crossword puzzles promote learning and understanding.
* Clinical terms and shorthand expressions are highlighted in colored text within parentheses after the explanation, to expose readers to terminology used in the practice setting.
* Boxed Take Home Points distill years of nursing experience into practical, "real world" advice from the experts.
* More than 100 NCLEX-style questions, divided by chapter, are included in a section at the end of the book so readers can test their knowledge and review challenging concepts.
* Full-color illustrations demonstrate key concepts and principles of hemodynamic monitoring, including various complications.
* Original cartoon-character illustrations and a cartoon camel walk readers through subjects that nursing students have identified as difficult, using a lighthearted approach.
* Waveforms at the end of each chapter allow readers to practice their interpretation.
Browse Titles In Related Subjects
1. Understanding the Heart & Lungs
2. Hemodynamic Theory
3. Hemodynamic Monitoring Equipment
4. Arterial Pressure Monitoring
5. Right Atrial/Central Venous Pressure Monitoring
6. Pulmonary Artery Pressure Monitoring
7. Pulmonary Artery Pressures and Waveforms
8. Cardiac Output Measurements & Hemodynamic Calculations
9. Mixed Venous Oxygenation Monitoring
10. Non-invasive Hemodynamic Monitoring
11. Clinical Application: Case Studies, Clinical Interventions & Exercises
Appendix: Esophageal Doppler Monitoring
NCLEX Examination Review